Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Starry Night Finger Painting


Lesson Summary:
This is another project that was based off of "Starry Night" by artist Vincent Van Gogh. The assignment was to create a finger painting using his style of painting-lots of lines, movement, etc. Because I am a huge fan of this painting, I decided to recreate Van Gogh's masterpiece. I produced my painting by using only the primary colors-red, yellow, blue, and mixing them with black and white to make tints and shades. I wanted to mimic the sky scene as closely as I could so I put extra effort into the stars, moon, and movement in the sky. Overall, this was the most enjoyable project that we did all semester because it was so much fun finger painting one of my favorite paintings!

Extension Activity:
Because I really enjoy this image so much, as an extension activity I would include this exact same painting by this artist. However, I would have the students split a large piece of paper in four and have them use four different mediums to re-create "Starry Night". So one could be made of crayon, one colored pencil, one paint (either with a brush or with fingers), one with oil pastels, one watercolor, etc. Students will be able to become familiar with multiple mediums and will also decide which ones they prefer to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment